Sunday, July 12, 2009

Faith, Family, and Friends

"How are you guys holding up?" We hear it often, in some form or another, and it's probably the same question I would ask if I were visiting someone in the hospital. In fact, I'm sure I'd ask it. Problem is, I'm not quite sure how to answer it. "We're hanging in there," I think is our normal response. And it's true, we are hanging in there. Isn't that what most people say? I'm not sure what the alternative would be...maybe that's a good thing.

Carson on the morning after being diagnosed, before heading off to surgery.

Deep down, however, the truth is we are scared. We don't want our little guy to have to go through this and we don't like the potential outcomes (even if those "outcomes" surround us everyday).

Earlier today we were handed a thick binder titled The Family Handbook for Children with Cancer. One glance at the title and the emotional roller coaster goes into a free fall. Yeah, I didn't have that one on my must read list! Nevertheless, we have to put on our armor and prepare for battle. Carson already has. Emotional roller coaster aside, Mom and Dad have to suit up, too.


Carson's buds swing by on Saturday for a tour...and are impressed by the number of toys. There's even a Wii in his room!

The good thing is we are surrounded by faith, family, and friends. We have had a steady stream of visitors - and for that we are forever grateful. There's no better pick-me-up than friends. Not even Starbucks can top that. (Okay, I realize some of you may dispute that point, but you're wrong!)

The cards, gifts, and offerings of assistance are all greatly appreciated and have been too many to count. Right now, however, there's just not a whole lot to do. We eat and sleep right here at the hospital. Home is a short 15 minutes away...and that's WITHOUT speeding. Even the "other children" (aka dogs) have a doggy door.

I don't think anyone is really ever prepared to take on leukemia. I know we sure aren't. But all things considered, it could be a whole lot worse.

Paul.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Paul, Jennifer & Francesca, we love the photos! Carson's smile is radiant!!! Thank you for writing this blog... we are so anxious to keep up with you so we can pray specifically for your needs. My mom added Carson to the FBC Richardson prayer list today. By now there must be folks all around the world praying for your little guy. We certainly won't stop! :) Take care and rest well tonight. Love from the Links...

    ReplyDelete