Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Count Your Blessings

Here I go again with hymns from childhood:

Count your blessings, name them one by one
Count your blessings see what God has done
Count your blessings....name them one by one
Count your many blessings see what God has done.

Yesterday, I was supposed to be watering the back yard, but was considering busting out crying instead. Carson had been feeling lethargic all morning, he didn't have much of an appetite, and we had not received the final results of the bone marrow test. I was scared. This hymn popped into my head and I began to realize I had so many things to be thankful for...I could face what came next.

As it turned out, God gave us more blessings. Let me count them one by one.......

1. On the medical front Carson's bone marrow test on Monday (prior to his second chemo treatment) was extremely encouraging. The doctor's have even said "AMAZING". Only 7% of his bone marrow is now leukemia. This is down from 89% leukemia on Saturday, July 11. We have dropped 82% after only one chemo treatment!

2. Blood drawn about 12 hours after the latest chemo round showed ZERO leukemic cells spilling over into the bloodstream. This is a great sign.....no leukemia in the blood means the bone marrow has slowed production of those cells.

3. Carson's energy was back today. Given a boost by the fact that he no longer has to be hooked up to "Stretch", the IV bag holder, Carson was all over the ward this morning. He raced around the rooms, he raced to the helicopter viewing area, he played in the playroom and did laps around the gazebo on the Big Wheel at the outdoor play area.

4. The appetite is back again. This is a blessing, but sometimes you wonder about that when you are asking the kitchen to make eggs for your child at 9:00 at night!

5. We have wonderful friends and a wonderful church family. Thank you for all the visits over these past few weeks! In just the last two days, we've had visits from seven different sets of people - with more scheduled for tomorrow. We've received tons of wonderful emails, encouraging cards and meals at home and at the hospital. Those comments on the blog? They are really keeping us going. And, finally, do I need to mention all the prayer lists where Carson's name appears because a caring friend or family member has put it there? It is absolutely overwhelming.

6. We have wonderful family! My crying episode yesterday was made by possible by Grandma - she stays with Carson while he takes a nap, which means she spends the ENTIRE day at the hospital. The fact that we can come home and cry is indeed a blessing. We get it out of our system, and can then be strong for Carson again. Thanks Grandma! And thanks to all our family for all the help not mentioned here...... (it would take up too much space!)

And with that, I'll close for today. I feel ready to fight the fight again tomorrow. I know we have a long road ahead, I know I'll need to take it one day at a time, but counting my blessings has lightened my load for the time being. I'll take those blessings, I'll embrace them, I'll thank God for them!
-Jennifer

8 comments:

  1. Paul and Jennifer,

    I love that hymn too.

    Are you ever burdened with a load of care?
    Does the cross seem heavy you are called to bear?
    Count your many blessings, every doubt will fly,
    And you will keep singing as the days go by.

    I know you have a heavy cross to bear right now but the good thing is you are not alone. Please know we are all praying for you and thinking of you. You are such wonderful parents. Carson has blessings to count too.

    Your positive attitude is really inspiring to me.

    Take care,
    Blake

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favorite hymns too! All of you continue to be in our prayers. We think of Francesca too and hope she's enjoying her time in Texas.

    Love, Rob & Erin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen, read your 22 July input today (on break from class) and I too shed a tear (I will blame it on allergies) As I spent time w/ my little Gianpaolo I thought of Carson and his ordeal -- all we can do is PRAY and PRAY some more that he beats this bad disease. As we go to bed at night we remember Carson and pray for him. T-Bone, thanks for keeping me in the loop every now and then by email.
    Cheers,
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  4. And there are some who say we don't need to learn the old hymns.
    I think the message in them is true for today.
    Nona

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your words and positive attitude are truly inspirational to me. I can't imagine any other way to deal with this new challenge in your life with nothing but total faith and optimism. I love reading about Carson's progress. My prayers are with you!
    Carrie Prickett

    ReplyDelete
  6. Here in Abilene I'm still praying for all of you. I think Carson must be kin to me by the way he likes to eat.

    All of us need to COUNT our BLESSINGS every day.
    Thia is holding true especially for you at this time.

    Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi from Texas,
    The Eakins family sends our prayers and blessings to you! That is one of my favorite childhood hymns, Paul. Carson is such a doll. Praise the Lord for a great day. Hope he likes Mexican food..we'll have to have a fiesta when you all come to Texas! Much love to you all, Judy and Chuck and family

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank goodness for Grandma, indeed! You guys are in our prayers. We're sending up lots of prayers and sending you all our love. Thanks for posting the pictures. My blessing? Carson's precious smile.

    Julie Lyon

    ReplyDelete