Saturday, July 25, 2009

Doghouse Destiny

Day 14 of 1,278

Today is our anniversary. My lovely wife Jennifer and I have been married now for 17 years. (Where did the time go?!?) I'm sure many of you are wondering, "Why has she put up with him for so long?" Sometimes I think the same thing.

Truth is, Jennifer has the patience of Job. She puts up with all my quirky habits and then some. She supports my "training" for wacky races and allows me to channel surf with the remote control to my hearts content. (We really should own stock in Duracell.) Honestly, I could never have hoped to have it so good. She is, without a doubt, the best wife, mother, and friend a guy can dream of. I just happen to be the luckiest guy around!

Who are those people? A much younger family in 1998 (pre-Carson).

Problem is, with Carson in the hospital and all that has been going on the past two weeks, I didn't get her a card...or a present. We are together all the time during the day and we trade off staying at the hospital at night. And during the day, even when we're not at the hospital, we're still together. So, given the circumstances, I really thought I had a "bye" for the whole card thing this year.

Think again.

Somehow Jennifer managed to sneak in some time to get an anniversary card. And to make matters even worse, she got TWO cards for me. (Overachiever!) And, NO, the second card wasn't one for me to give to her. (I wish!)

I'm hoping she will at least show some leniency for my lack of judgement. But, time is of the essence. I need to act quickly. If anyone has a good idea of how to get out of this one, please chime in...I'm all ears. (And dinner isn't going to cut it...we already took care of that.)

Medical News:

There wasn't much change in Carson's blood work today. He still has to take precautions to protect himself from germs so that he doesn't get sick and we are still clear of leukemia in the blood. (Yeah!!!) We are still disconnected from IV fluids and looks like we'll remain that way for the time being.

Overall he was much more subdued today. His energy level was way down. He was up some this morning, got out of the room for a bit, and then ate his way to China...again. However, right after that he went to sleep...and he hasn't taken a morning nap in a LONG time. He woke up again a little after lunch, but just long enough to get another bite to eat and roll over in his bed.

There's a lot going on in his little body and it really hurts to see him so worn down.

Monday is the next big day. Please pray his bone marrow is clear, the chemo goes smoothly, and Carson is comfortable. It's all in God's hands.

Go chemo! Get those nasty leukemia cells!

Go Carson!!

Paul.

5 comments:

  1. We've all been praying for him! We miss you guys a lot! F

    ReplyDelete
  2. About the anniversary thing, believe me, Jennifer never even put you in the doghouse. When God blesses us with a man that stands with him, we don't need cards. She feels your love and the strength of God supporting you.

    We're praying that those remaining marrow cells will be kicked soon. We're also praying Psalm 34:4: I sought the Lord, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears.

    Scott & Karen Flanders (and our 3 GALS --Ginny, Abigail & Lilly)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paul, I was just reading the Baja Fresh comment. Actually I was there yesterday and had the fish tacos--love them. I've been thinking of you all and praying, and of course, I thought about you guys a lot while I was at Baja Fresh. I am so thankful that we randomly bumped into you there. What a blessing for our family to get to know you all after that no so chance encounter. I am sure that Jennifer will be okay with the anniversary--you are together and supporting each other every day. --Harlan

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the way from Abilene TX. I will be praying for Carson as he receives he chemo and will be back running the halls soon. Jane, I pray that you are there to do whatever to make the hospital stay better for he Kings. Paul, the wedding thing is on the back burner for the time being. Maybe you can become creative in the days to come to smoothe this over!!!

    I love you
    Auntie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Paul and Jennifer:

    I am praying for all of you--Carson, Jennifer, Paul and Francesca. I've been through 52 of those chemo treatments and believe me they are not good but the results can be fantastic. We're praying to that end for Carson. Trust the Lord. He is so good. Glad you are home.

    Dot Laux

    ReplyDelete