Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Marathon Complete!!

The 2011 DisneyWorld Marathon is over. I laughed, I cried, I ran, but mostly, I HURT!

Here are the highs, and lows, from that event.

The Reader's Digest version:
  • I finished, albeit slowly, at 5 hrs and 40 minutes
  • I utilized every aid station for BioFreeze and/or Tylenol
  • TNT coaches showed up at just the right times to keep me going
  • I almost cried 3 times
  • My knee hurt the whole time
Now the full version:

2:30 AM: Wake Up and get ready. Did I even sleep??? Shoes, skirt, shirt, socks, hat, sport beans, arm bands, Gatorade, GPS watch, extra clothes to keep you warm while you wait for the start, gloves, phone, breakfast...ready! Oh yea, take vicodin and pray that knee will not hurt during the run.

3:30 AM: Arrive at bag check and wait until it is time to walk to the starting corrals. Meet the TNT team for last minute tips and pics, post to Facebook and send texts about how you are freezing! It sure is cold before the sun comes up.

Kathy, yours truly and Marina bundled up before the race.

5:55 AM: Race starts....knee hurts with first step, heat from fireworks feels good! I planned to run slow and walk the water stops, and decided to keep the icy hot sleeve on my knee instead of removing it.

Run through Epcot first. Take picture.

Me, before the knee was REALLY hurting.

Run to and through Magic Kingdom. Somewhere between Epcot and Magic Kingdom, shed layers of clothes and note others who have done the same. Lose Kathy - who I've been running with up until now. Maybe she got lost in that huge fleece jacket I threw off!

Take picture of race car and its drivers

"Um, can you drive me to the finish?"

Somewhere around Mile 10 take another half of a vicodin because it has already been 4 hours since I took the last one - and you're not even half way through this race (!)

Head to Animal Kingdom - see and talk to lots of TNTers on the way.

See Paul, Francesca and Carson complete with noise makers and signs around Mile 17. Come close to crying, give kisses and keep going.

Meanwhile, take note of all the great things Disney has done to entertain/distract me on this run. Music, marching bands, Disney characters, classic cars, fire trucks, cheering cast members, cheering strangers yelling "GO TEAM", singers, hot air balloons - it is AMAZING to say the least.

Keep running, keep hurting. Keep thinking about how I won't quit. Keep thinking about all the great inspirational messages sent to me over the last few days. Keep going.

Mile 18-19: I'm on the road between parks and I start dragging, start walking at places other than the water stops. A TNT angel from the Central Florida chapter shows up and walks with me. Gives me the inspiration to start running again. I tell her about Carson and almost start crying again.

Around Mile 21: A TNT coach from my chapter appears (it was like he materialized out of thin air) and runs with me. He gives me the layout of the next 5 miles - a huge mental boost. I keep going.

Before I know it, I'm handed off to another TNT coach from the National Capital Area chapter. He already knows I'm hurting because one of my training buddies, Marina, has filled him in. (Thanks Marina!) He suggests I get my knee taped up at the next medical tent. I do it, and he waits. A few minutes later, we start running again. The tape on the knee, his pep talk and the Toy Story Army Sergeant get me up a hill and through to the next park - Hollywood Studios.

Find lots of things to take pictures of at Hollywood Studios. The criteria for picture taking: line must not be too long and it is something Carson would like to see.

I sure needed that big hug from Sully


I sure don't feel strong for this picture, but adopt the philosophy "fake it 'til you make it"

And finally....return to Epcot. The end is in sight!!!! Well, I can't actually see it, but I know I'm close. I run through the World Showcase and head towards Spaceship Earth. All kinds of people line the course, they are cheering and yelling. I see my beautiful family just before Mile 26! Carson asks for the second time, "Mom, when you gonna be done?"

Then....at last....the finish line!!! I can't believe I made it!!! I fight back the tears and just try to keep moving - otherwise my knee may never move again.

Get water, get the heat blanket, get the medal, get photo, get some food and see my smiling family at the TNT tent. Give Carson my medal - this one's for you bud!

Carson is glad that Mom is finally done!

Thanks everyone - AGAIN - the help, the donations, the prayers. It took a whole army, both physical and spiritual, to get me across that finish line!!! It is an experience that will stick with me for a life time...and I think my knee will also never let me forget it!

-Jennifer

3 comments:

  1. Heartfelt congratulations on an amazing accomplishment! You were certainly in our hearts and prayers on Sunday morning!! Loved seeing y'all in the News Press... Congrats again and hope the knee pain is much better! The Links :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Jennifer! Most people would have given up (myself included) with all the suffering you had to go through - but you overcame it all. That took amazing spirit. You should be so very proud of yourself! ~Kim

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing job Jennifer! You're a trooper for sure. ~Libby and Mark

    ReplyDelete