Saturday, September 12, 2009

No Platelets Required

Refreshed and still fighting strong. Day 63 of 1,279 in the war against leukemia.

Jennifer and I slipped out late Friday night for some kid-free time together. It wasn't quite as exciting as a date. We were going to the grocery store, which under the circumstances is kinda like a date. Time together, even going to the grocery store, is time to cherish.

Jennifer diligently collected coupons to save us some extra $ (well, more like some extra ¢¢), and as soon as the kids were asleep, we headed out the door and left Nona in charge.

Finally, some time alone. Now we can take a leisurely drive to the grocery store and talk about our day. Not so fast.

Note to self: Heed the No Right on Red sign posted at the intersection of Little Falls and Great Falls. Even if it's late at night and the sign is covered by trees and there's seemingly no one else on the road, it doesn't matter. That little police girl likes to write tickets!

And that's exactly what happened to us...or rather, me, on the way to the grocery store. We were only a block from our house and we didn't even know the sign was there!

But before I could get upset at being pulled over, something happened that just made me laugh. I'm sitting in the car (a regular 4-door sedan) and when I rolled down the window to talk to the officer, I realized she was at eye level. My eye level...and I was sitting down!

I'm not sure I've ever seen a police officer that short. Several thoughts raced through my mind:
  • Did they waive the minimum height requirements for being a police officer?
  • Has our local law enforcement resorted to hiring 14 year-olds?
  • Is this the "new" softer side of the force - hire shorter officers to write tickets so the ticketees don't have to crane their necks to look up while being interrogated?
  • I didn't know Dr. Evil created a female version of Mini Me!
The damage for making a right on red and not heeding the hidden sign? $111. But, as our officer pointed out, you can pay online! Oh, I can pay online. Great. That makes me feel much better...NOT!

So much for clipping those coupons. That was one of the most expensive trips to the grocery store ever!

I'll leave you with this first:

Carson creates a masterpiece...a post-modern impressionist painting entitled Bulldozer Loading Rocks.

In important news, Carson visited the clinic Friday morning to have his platelets checked. He did NOT need a transfusion. (Another prayer answered!) However, he did, for the first time ever, play in the art area. I don't know if this is a side effect from the medication, but Carson has NEVER before had anything to do with arts and crafts. For the record, he was not coerced or forced to participate - he did so willingly. And he even had fun! (Go figure.)

Paul.

1 comment:

  1. Dear Jennifer and Paul, although we haven't written we've been reading your blog daily. Your story on the ticket really made us laughs, but the news on Carson made our heart smile. We enjoy seeing the picture of Francesca getting ready for school...she is a beautiful young lady.
    Thank you also for the short videos, Giampaolo love to see them over and over, he seems to relate to Carson in a special way and when the video ends, he says: "I want to do that too" or "I want to go play with Carson".
    You all are in our prayers daily, keep up the good work.
    Lots of love, Cristina, Alex, Emily and Gianpaolo

    ReplyDelete