Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Up Goes the Chemo


All around the clinic
The nurse chased the patient
The finger poke revealed it was time
UP! goes the chemo......

Sometimes I feel like I'm living in some sort of bad nursery rhyme - the horrible aspect of cancer mixing with a simple children's song and you find yourself thinking it's funny.  You have to think it's funny because the only other choice is to cry......

We had a clinic visit yesterday.  The chase mentioned above only occurred when Carson realized he'd be getting a flu shot along with the finger poke.

Counts are lower than before, but remain elevated.  Since Carson appears to be doing fabulous health wise - as in cough, congestion, ear infection are gone- the doctor made the decision to raise his 6MP and MTX dosages.

We will go back to the clinic on October 15th.  3 whole weeks.

Of special note is that on October 15, Carson will be receiving his last spinal tap of the protocol!!!  That means it could be his last spinal tap EVER!  That is just too weird for me to even think about right now.  I know we've been doing this for over 3 years, but it seems like we've been doing it forever.  And to just stop doing it one day, that blows my mind and scares me to death.

In other news, I am healing fine.  I have a follow up appointment with the plastic surgeon on Thursday and hope to have this horrible tape removed; at which point I am hoping to get on with a life without surgery!

Paul is working very hard and planning several trips overseas.  Francesca has returned to her busy swimming schedule and seems to love 9th grade.

Enjoy your week!  Now that we have clinic out of the way, we are looking forward to doing the same!

-Jennifer





2 comments:

  1. Thank God for your sense of humor!!! Glad that you all are much better!!!! Jen you will look fabulous by the time the doc is done with you.

    Lots of love and prayers...the 15 of Oct will get here before you know it.
    Cristina, Alex, Emily and Gianpalolo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I often think about what it will be like to be "finished." I completely understand your fear. I have the exact same fears. Keep up the fight and with time, not thinking about or having LP's will be your "new" normal!!

    Diana Oliver

    ReplyDelete