Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Deep Thoughts with Jennifer

I get wrapped around the axle about the smallest things. I tend to focus on the here and now. I get stressed all the time. I lose perspective quite easily.

So, today's post is unusual for me. Bear with me while I explain.

We have been reading a book in church these last four weeks. It is The Family God Uses by Tom & Kim Blackaby. It has been a valuable study, a good reminder about raising a family that is grounded in the values of the Bible and a look at God's design and purpose of the family.

I admit though, I was pretty much going through the motions of the study, not thinking too hard about any of it. As usual, it takes a ton of bricks, to wake me up. Those bricks sure have a funny way of dropping at the most interesting of times.....

This is what I read "When God spares a child, it is for a reason". This is just one statement in an 180 page book, but I zeroed in on it. I started thinking about both of our children. I do believe both of our children have been spared by God, both should have probably died, but both are still here living happy lives. They are thriving in fact, despite their circumstances.

The book specifically mentions how Moses was saved from death when his mother hid him in a basket and floated him down the river, only to be found by the Pharaohs daughter. God protected Moses and he lived to lead Israel out of Egypt. I never thought about Francesca's experience being somewhat similar to Moses'. God took care of Francesca. He took her out of a circumstance in which she would have died and sent her where she needed to go to live. She is alive because of His protection. Think about this: We were living in a foreign third world country, we were almost not allowed to leave the country to go on R&R in the states. We flew out and about the same time Francesca was diagnosed with diabetes, Cote D'Ivoire was in the middle of a coup! Everyone had to stay in their homes under lock and key; there would have been no going out to the hospital with a sick child. She would probably have died if we'd have had to wait it out.

When we brought Carson to the hospital, he had an enormous white blood cell count (85% of which was cancer), almost no platelets, and no immune system. Yet he wasn't sick (apart from the cancer), he wasn't bleeding internally and no cancer cells had managed to migrate to his central nervous system. And now, SO FAR, we've had nothing but good news regarding his prognosis. Right now, his life has been spared.

And if I believe the author's statement about God sparing children for a reason, what is the reason my kids are walking around today??? What does God have planned for my children,??? How does he wish to use their lives to further his purpose? My kids may not grow up to lead countries, or be famous; but God has a plan to use them in some way. And, finally, what am I doing to make sure they grow up able to be used by God??

Serious business. The thing is, I should be asking those questions of myself with or without a brush with death. Something to think long and hard about for me. I need to focus on those questions above, maybe I won't get so stressed about small things, I won't lose my perspective. Axle?? What axle?

-Jennifer

4 comments:

  1. Beautifully worded, Jennifer. Thank you for sharing these very personal thoughts. God surely has amazing plans for Francesca and Carson! Betsy

    ReplyDelete
  2. As I sit in bible study with Paul, I drift off at times in thought of how blessed I am to have a healthy child. As I began the journey of training for a Marathon, Cancer was not any where in my thoughts. Today, I am proud of the fact that I was able to raise money for cancer research that helps keep kids like Carson around to inspire all of us! When I run the Marathon on Sunday I will be thinking of your family, the strength you have and how God really has a plan for us all otherwise we would not be here. So the test will not be to finish the run, but to finish this life doing what God has planned for me. God bless you and your family....Jeff Martinson

    ReplyDelete
  3. So just about mile 19 or 20, running over the Memorial Bridge, into the wind, no crowd, no music and most people walking I had a point where I had to decide to push hard to run and finish under 4.5 or walk and take a break while focusing on just finishing under 5 hrs. It was extremely tough and I gave in to the easier challenge.

    I am still proud of what I was able to accomplish, but think back and apply it to my life. There are times when we need to make a stand, to be a true believer, do what is right and speak out and yet it is easier to stay quiet. I met some great people, still accomplished something that took a lot of effort and was able to raise almost $2,500 for a great cause. The greatest thing however is the feeling of confidence to next time fight through the easy thing and work at accomplishing the tough things in life. For that is what will make me a better and stronger person.....Jeff Martinson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post, I like it.
    Katherine Kurima

    ReplyDelete