Saturday, August 22, 2009

Being Number 2

Day 42 of 1,278

Despite being holed up in the house most of the day, Carson is doing really well. He is up and moving around...even going up and down the stairs (albeit gingerly). We even had visitors:

Carson contemplates whether Mark can be trusted to handle the US Postal truck appropriately. It's a tough call.

About the hair.

Some of you may have noticed that Carson's hair is drastically shorter. Just to set the record straight, it wasn't the chemo. I thought it would be a preemptive strike. You know, instead of waiting for Carson's hair to fall out, go ahead and take that Conair clipper kit out of storage, lube up the blades, and put it to use. Although his hair seemed to getting thinner and softer, he actually needed a hair cut. Thinking what hair he had could fall out at any moment, I thought a buzz cut would be a good idea. Sounds logical, right? So two weeks ago, that's what I did.

I knew this might not go over too well with the little guy. To sweeten the deal I promised him I would get a buzz cut, too. We'd make it a boy thing. I didn't mind...it's been hot and a buzz cut would feel great.

Except I made one teeny, tiny mistake. Instead of starting slowly and only cutting off a little bit of hair like a normal human would do, I decided to start with the super short number 1 attachment. Not good. He still has, or rather had, a good deal of hair. Unfortunately, after a swipe down the middle with the number 1 attachment, his head resembled a huge baby bird...covered merely in a thin coat of little fuzz. Wow...that is SHORT!

While waiting for chemo to arrive, the buzz cut gang slobber over pictures in the latest issue of Motor Trend magazine

As for my promise...well, I kinda chickened out. Instead of using the number 1 attachment like I did on Carson, I wussied out and used the number 2. It was a "number 2" move in so many ways! Nevertheless, we are enjoying our new "doos".

Get some new wiper blades and help JDRF.

Francesca and I ran a few errands this morning, including a swing by Advance Auto Parts for some new wiper blades. We noticed right away that the front of the store was covered in paper sneakers. Hmmm...those sneakers look interestingly similar to the JDRF "Walk To Cure Diabetes" sneaker.

Turns out Advance is in the midst of their Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation (JDFR) fund raising campaign. In fact, they have raised more than 16.5 million dollars in the past 15 years. Impressive, huh? JDRF is an organization we have strongly supported ever since Francesca's diagnosis in 1999. Head down to your local store, get yourself some wipers, and make your contribution. It's for a great cause...and you'll be able to see out of your car better, too!

Paul.

4 comments:

  1. Walgreens' usually have the sneakers. Look for the sneakers when you shop! JDRF is a great organization.
    Paul, I remember the time your dad did the same thing you did with the clippers. Your head looked like Carson's for your 1st picture with Santa.
    Love you both.
    Nona

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Paul and Jennifer:

    Just wanted to let you know that I've been following your blog and have been praying for all of you - especially Carson! Your attitude is inspiring and I appreciate your openness in sharing with all of us the "chaos"! Kevin, Pierce, Joe and I will continue to pray and hope with you.

    Sincerely,

    Beth Wright

    ReplyDelete
  3. Delaney and I are keeping you all in our prayers. Thinking of you, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my gosh, that clipper story had me chuckling to myself....hysterical! You big chicken, Paul! I just passed your buddy, Kathleen, doing her third mile around the building. She looks stronger and better than ever and "hot", as Paris Hilton would say...of course, it could be the 95 degree heat! Glad to hear your old Carson is returning and that he and sissy have been reunited! You guys keep hanging in there and remember you are in our thoughts here in Pembroke Pines! Pam Brake

    ReplyDelete