Thursday, July 12, 2012

Three Years

Day 1,097 in our leukemia war.

Our 3rd anniversary of D-day was Tuesday and we all experienced it in different ways.

Paul and I had talked about the arrival of the anniversary a few days before, but on the actual day, I had forgotten.  I was busy getting the Mr. off to summer school, when Paul sent me a reminder text.
It took me by surprise.  I was OK until I got to the grocery store parking lot, then got overwhelmed with emotion.  Here we go again, that old combination of sadness and happiness sneeking up on me again.....

  • I'm so sorry that Carson has had to go through this
  • I'm so sorry that we'll be holding our breath the rest of our lives, watching for relapse
  • I'm so sorry for all the toxic meds pumped into his tiny veins
  • I'm so sorry for the IEP's at school and late effects of treatment which will follow him for who knows how long
  • I'm happy that we're still all together
  • I'm happy that God has seen fit to allow us to be parents to both our kids for awhile longer
  • I'm happy that Carson responded so well to treatment
  • I'm happy that the end of treatment is in sight - November 2012 here we come!


While I was processing all these thoughts in the parking lot, other members of my family were faring much better.

  • Francesca was on her way home from church camp (she had a terrific time)
  • Carson went to school, went to swim lesson and then proceeded to earn his green belt at Tae Kwon Do
  • Paul suggested dinner out - and we all agreed.

 What D-day?  Green belts rock!


So after a bit of a rough start (for me), it was practically a normal day! 
.....and that's the way we like it!

-Jennifer

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the posting, and I'll continue to pray for Carson.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am very happy that you can see the light at the end of the tunnel. I cried when I read the things you thought about on the anniversary. These are the things that will be with us forever!!

      Diana Oliver

      Delete
  2. Beautifully said! I'm so glad he drives us crazy with his little boy energy. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Jennifer thanks for posting that, yes tears came to my eyes as a mother it struck home. Life is incredible may God bless all of you!!!!! Thanks for making our life more meaningful ! Cristina

    ReplyDelete